Wednesday 21 June 2017

I am 5



I actually nearly missed the date, but ‘Warfare in the Age of Cynics and Amateurs’ is five years old tomorrow. I started the blog to give me a focus, after an enforced hiatus from wargaming. It gave me targets for games and painting, rather than flitting from one period to the next (granted, this still happens, but at least there are games sometimes), and the opportunity to introduce Fitz, who had never played before, to the hobby.

Has it felt like five years? Well, I appreciate that I probably don’t post nearly as much as other blogs, I don’t have the hundreds of followers I guess, but I’m just glad that I’ve been able to record the games that Fitz and I have had – together with some of Sgt. Steiner’s excellent games, plus some extra pieces of information on rules and interesting concepts.

That said however, the most important thing in the last five years has been the contacts made. I’ve talked with new friends online in the US and Europe, and some face to face (not even realising the groups of gamers that existed half an hour’s drive away – Steiner! I’m looking at you J). There have been great & inspirational chats, some experimental rules, and most of all (and as recently alluded to in Steve’s blog) none of the concerns that we seem to find in argumentative forums. I’ve read some blogs that have really made me think in that time, and had my faith in the gaming/blogging community re-affirmed.

I’ve mostly stayed away from the new ‘boutique’ style rules, more popular WW2 rules, GW’s spikey bits (never really got into that, even in the 80s), and flavours of the month – and homed in on the lesser known books and rules, the home produced stuff - the experimental rules and discussion being produced on blogs from people just like us. It’s refreshing and entertaining, and I only wish that I had more time to game, and post the results.

Do I worry that the younger generation aren’t getting involved, and that the hobby is dying? Not really.
Do we argue about things like ‘points values’ rather than finding a set of rules that is reasonably historically relevant, while offering a good game at the same time? Let the forums take that on.
Do I care if the facings are the wrong colour? Probably…*sigh*…but I’m hoping to go to button counter-rehab soon.

Wargamers are an eclectic bunch at best. I may not have many followers, but the ones that I have, for me, represent what the ‘hobby’ (pastime?) is all about; friendship and good games. What else does there need to be?

…oh yeah, and I really like Sam Mustafa’s Maurice rules…have I mentioned this before?

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on FIVE. I am enjoying the blogosphere, it is creative and friendly and even solo gamers can feel connected to a wider community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I agree. There are some great blogs and ideas out there, yours among them. Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!. As a mere 6 monther i bow to your staying power!. And you hit the nail on the head, game the rules you like how you like...and long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Might I say that your blog helps reminds me to do the game to suit yourself...that's a key thing I think.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on reaching the five year milepost!

    I find your posts enjoyable and especially like following your travel journeys. Keep it up!

    Having only tried Maurice once, the jury is still out on that one. However, I am refighting Kolin using Honours of War this weekend. That is close, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. I'll keep posting as often as possible, even with the dodgy travelogues . Also love your gaming / painting posts, and cycling stories.

      Looking forward to your next post...and yes, Honours of War is close enough :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, always a pleasure to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Always great stuff on your blog too.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Still loving your rules. Just the sort of experimental stuff I'm talking about above.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, young sir - happy birthday. I checked nervously in case I was drawn toward boutique style rules without realising it, but think I'm OK. I've finally started to take a pride in the fact that I just do it all wrong, and sometimes it's a bit unnerving when i find someone has similar ideas. What was I saying? - oh yes - happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Ah yes...boutique games, a phrase coined on the Meeples & Minatures podcast I believe, and referring to warband style games with 4 or 5 figures a side, I think. The Judge Dredd and Malifaux style stuff - like a car showroom on a 4x4 board, with lots of sci-fi or steampunk terrain and absolutely no historical context. I think that's it... So yes...have managed to miss that sort of thing completely...

      I like big 'battles' (and I can not lie). (Is that a song...?)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. Still love to see your blog and the C17th stuff (and the Posties specials )

      Delete
  8. Well done. I love the young wargamers comment, it is either in your blood or it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes George thanks. I agree. I think we've grown up with a pastime, which becomes very difficult for successive generations to understand, or even develop the love of history that will help them appreciate it. Sad, but true.
      (And your blog hits the parts that others can't reach - keep up the good work)

      Delete
    2. Funnily enough I have just posted on the history question, scary.

      Delete
    3. Yes. Just posted on your blog about it.
      Gives me a chance to bitch about BBC revisionist history....and relax...

      Delete
  9. Huzzah and happy 5! Thanks for your great posts and blog. I always look forward to reading when I see you've posted something. Definitely a "sweet spot" for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. It was your own Nine Years War and Boyne stuff that switched me on to your own epic blog - so mutual appreciation (and I seem to be getting back into hex and chit games)

      Delete
  10. Well done on 5 years! Lots of great posts.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Many thanks. Hoping I can squeeze another 5 out of it...maybe even try to post more...(who am I kidding...maybe when I retire LOL)

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday to the blog Darren! Your blog has been a great place for all of us across the world to visit and chat and even live vicariously through each other's hobby exploits. Long Live Warfare in the Age of Cynics and Amateurs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steven.
      I'm always inspired by your own fantastic blog...and of course our shared loved of Team Yankee...the original and the best, that is :)

      (even though the GDW box is designed to crumple after 5 minutes )

      Delete
  12. Congrats on 5 years Blogging. I find Blog is essentially a version of diary keeping which I used to do but now with added visual elements. I never really took pics of games in 'good old days' but its an given now.
    Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate - and you too. Your stuff is really inspiring and I have seen your great games first hand, and as you say, it keeps a diary of games played, and actually helps to keep painting and gaming going, so not a bad thing.

      Also, I never would have found Field of Battle if not for the games we played - great rules. Wait...there's a game tomorrow too :)

      Delete