I've been deliberating over trying 'Men Under Fire' without 54mm figures. Ahhh, decisions, decisions.
SOoo...the other set of rules recently acquired is 'Maurice' (that's 'Mor-ees' as opposed to 'Morris', which is how we normally pronounce it in this neck de la woods). Was very interested in this for a number of reasons:
(1) It covers late C17th (well 1690...so it's the Boyne - what's not to love?). Well, at least there's a paragraph covering pike/shot formations. It also goes as far as the AWI...yay!
(2) It uses card mechanics. Granted, such systems are always interesting (and mostly crap) but these cards just might work.
(3) The rulebook is gorgeous (ok, I'm a sucker for that).
(4) There are very nice looking campaign rules which just might enable me to do the Irish campaign I've been wanting to do for so long.
(5) I don't have to paint anything and can play with available figures. (actually this is key!!! though I may have to blow dust from them...)
So...Men Under Fire is shelved in the interim...