Saturday 9 September 2017

Zorndorf 1758, with Field of Battle...at Sgt Steiner's

Another great game of Field of Battle at Sgt Steiner's.

These rules are truly under-represented in the wargaming sphere. Every game is a large affair, a great narrative, and a logical conclusion in a reasonable time - with lots of figures and excitement, and multiple players. These are so much better than a lot of what's out there (I'm lookin' at you Slack Chowder). Buy them from Brent!



The rules are logical, reward historical thought and action, yet slap you in the face with battlefield chaos which you then have to manage - and it's the type of unpredictability you read in a battlefield account. Great game, with elegant dice mechanisms and wonderful card based turn sequence.

 Oh yes - the dice gods were VERY DEFINITELY with me today. Gawd bless Stephen..Gawd bless 'im. 

 The Russian lines - heavy in the centre and determined in defence, with deadly artillery.

 The Prussian force is small yet deadly in terms of musketry (C10,12) with advantages in movement (and ability to oblique, mimicking cadence step and Prussian drill etc).

Strengthened right flank...a taste of what was coming.

 
 The Prussian centre was weakened and started to take a battering, yet managed to hold the Russian centre in place.



A lot of action on the Prussian right, where a number of 'excellent' dice rolls were made (have I mentioned the dice gods?)

The reserve in the centre commits - also to the right. if this goes wrong...  :(


Plans for the Russians go awry on their left, as the flank is under threat.


Routed units being brought back into the fray.

 Fighting around the river and flank.



Vicious melee and musketry in the centre;

 ...the flank bends, bows and breaks - an army morale roll convinces the Russians that staying is not a good idea.

Great game, great hospitality as usual ...have I mentioned the dice gods?


21 comments:

  1. Another great looking game, i will have to check out these rules, could they be adapted to my shady style of (whisper it....fantasy) gaming do you think?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, very definitely. There is a fantasy style version (with magic items) called forgotten realms, which has some 'Piquet' elements.
      SHoot me an email at ducdegobin (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll send some info

      Delete
    2. Scratch that - HOSTILE Realms is the name. Forgotten Realms is something completely different ;)

      Delete
    3. .....You know when you have asked the exact same question of the same person before?!:). Boy do i feel a nob!. I have already checked these out and am toying with the idea of getting them!....sorry about that!. They do look mighty fine though!

      Delete
    4. No probs. Shoot me an email anyway - I might have a useful file or two.

      Delete
    5. Having trouble sending, any chance you can use mine (ian.rowan@gmail.com)?.

      Delete
  2. Being lucky is a victory in itself!
    Great looking game! What is used for the ground cloth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sgt bought the mat from 'Deep Cut Studios' I think.
      Great mousemat material, very resilient and great for rolling dice on, and sliding bases across.

      Delete
    2. Yes from Deep Cut Studios and it's the Plains version

      Delete
  3. Nice looking game and it's always good when you're lucky!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Next time , I'll roll ones all day :)

      Delete
  4. Great game guys, and great looking, too! I suppose as I get closer to finishing Napoleonic troops up and actually getting a fight in I'll need to scope out these rules. But I do like Slack Chowder a bit ;)

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, will be great to see Jack. Your painting is superb. Ok...I'm being unfair to Slack Chowder lol

      Delete
    2. I'm reading up on reviews, I imagine it's time to spring for the FOB 2nd Ed PDF. Maybe 'Blunders on the Danube,' too.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. Hey Jack - just sent an email to your gmail account with some links.

      Delete
  5. The pics showing that Prussian attack develop on the flank were a thing of beauty! Can't wait to try these rules out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I had luck on my side too. It was quite awesome to watch though.

      I have C&C AWI, Tigers @ Minsk and more Ground Zero queued up on my table - if it weren't for having to travel with work grrr

      Did you listen to that podcast by the way? I mentioned it on your blog. I reckon we could both get on as guests lol

      Delete
  6. Great looking game. Did you change to Prussian OOB to make Dohna's wing stronger than historical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Yes, we allowed for some units to change their initial setup. So, the flanking plan was there from the start, though it could have turned out very differently.

      Delete