Sunday 30 January 2022

FoB ACW meets noob.

 It's my birthday this weekend. I'm old enough to know better, wise enough to give advice (and have it shunned whilst walking away with a knowing smile), yet humble enough to have my army destroyed in Field of Battle, by a complete newbie...and still congratulate my cackling opponent.


ACW action with FoB ...follows after the b.s. interlude

What's this? Well, my daughter said to me: 'it's your birthday. How about a game of Battlelore (TM). We haven't played it in years?'

Yes - this one. First ed; the original and the best (2006) ...and yes it had lots of Scottish dwarves.

Truth be told, we last played Battlelore (TM) when she was 11, and she had started at age 7. The same young lady is now 24; and no, I don't know where that time went either!!!

'AHA!' I said. 'Well, you should try 'Field of Battle' instead,' I barked. She picked 'American Civil War' purely at random.

Of course, she could not react with the standard 'wait...isn't that something to do with Piquet, which means I will automatically shun it ?' No (though that would have scared the hell out of me if she had). So, she agreed!

Yay!


...and not 'Battlelore' - the Finnish metal band, with far too many members, inspired by Tolkien's fiction, though they will of course get a suitably weird track at the end now just to tie up the loose plot ends...

I had set up the game, and briefly went through the 'opposed rolling' concepts of the game. Though of course, inevitably, there would be some cries of 'you never told me that bit' later.


It would be a Confederate assault on Union positions, with a view to taking the crossroads. Sides were roughly equivalent in size, though the Rebs had significantly better Commanders and a better deck. Let's see how much difference that would make.

She made good use of the fence line, and movement cards, forming a decent defensive position, which the Confederate tide would get smashed upon.

Rebs did lack decent guns, and had some horrible rolls when they could get a shot in.

Early on, my opponent decided that her D10s were simply not good enough, and thus accessed dice from the 'horde bag' at random for the rest of the game. I suspect some D10s are for the chop later.

The Rebs charged on their right, using artillery to shoot into the position - but the ensuing melees did not go their way.

Reb centre and left, showing fierce fighting on the flank, with movement toward the objective in centre.

...quickly getting to grips with the vagaries of the movement cards, she reinforced the centre

Jonny & Billy meet in the centre. Fighting here was viscious

...with Rebs being pushed back from sustained Union fire, and losing badly in the melees


Rebs go in again

...but they have taken a lot of hits against their army morale


'One more time boys! One more time!'


The Union line is an incredibly tough nut to crack, and eventually, the Rebs survive one army morale card, but sustaining the attack simply falls apart, as their morale runs out.

The Union never really needed their flank cavalry unit...but worth a pic



Despite my opponent's insistence that this was a game of 'luck not skill', and my protestations that she had used good manoeuvre and defensive principles to gain the upper hand and win, and therefore the point was moot :) ...it was a great birthday bash.

As errr promised ;)


...and not today Charlie, not today mate...



20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! What a terrific birthday present to celebrate with a Father-Daughter Wargame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I may even have a commitment for a re-match (...I stress 'may' ...LOL)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Darren - Quality gaming time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm. The game kicked along. She claimed no interest in winning, though I could sense that killer instinct in play :)

      Delete
  3. It's tough being Dad. It is nice to see that someones children get to support their Father's hobby. Mine used to look at me as if I'd sprouted another head..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Have I mentioned my other daughter?
      Now granted - she is a video game maniac, hence I have ammo to shoot back with :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday sir, nice to know its not just me that gets trounced by the kids!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. I don't think I'll ever be allowed to forget :)

      Delete
  5. happy birthday, Darren! What a terrific birthday present - a wargame with family :) everyone wins there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mate. Everbody wins - my daughter said not to worry, as it was completely a random win anyway, since the game uses dice.

      ...women just don't understand these things... :)

      Delete
  6. My last FOB outing I was bested by my offspring so I feel both the pain and pleasure as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - yet they watch tiktoks in the middle of the game too, and still bloody win...

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday! We’ve had three birthdays this month - four if you count Smaug (who for some reason also required a card and a present) - so I am skint. Wargaming-wise, I only played Piquet once and all I can remember is that I had no clue what was going on and I won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks.
      I had no idea you had a pet dragon. I mean the pet food bills must be mad, and do you have to take him for a walk (flight?). At least you have a pile of gold nearby with which to attract those bloody hobbits - then you can smack 'em with something...

      Anyway - to the point, yes. Re. your point about not knowing what was going on but winning (sometimes) ...So far that has been rationale for wargaming in general ; in fact it's been my rationale for life!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations and happy burthday. A most wonderful game and memorable present. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - despite being utterly defeated, with little hope of a quick rematch, and a high probability that the defeat might be brought up at every opportunity in polite company, ...it was a blast :))

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday. I know how you feel, still waiting for a win this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. I know, I know. Apparently 'doing your best' makes it all worth it? No...I don't subscribe to that left wing crap either :))

      Delete
  10. Very nice to have a daughter to indulge your rather odd hobby...my kids tolerate it but would never even think of offering to play a game with me...mind you, they have never seen me play a game at home, as we have no spare room because both of them are still living with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross.
      My one abiding memory of when she played as a kid, was that she loved the Battlelore boardgame - the dynamic of the cardplay and interplay between flanks and centre etc. and the dwarves and comedy etc.

      Then, when she once got to play a warhammer starter set, her reaction was along the lines of 'this makes no sense, has too much dice rolling and is boring!'

      Hmmm...

      Delete