Friday 24 June 2022

I am 10 !

 On this day, ten years ago, I put up my first blog post – without any idea where it might lead.

It really only seems relatively recently, when I was typing up the ‘I am 5’ post - 5 short years ago. I am now looking forward to some kind of semi-retirement over the next few years, with at least lecturing and writing forming the cornerstone of that, and at the very least, it should allow more blog time, and some rules and period research.

The blog has seen massive change - even despite its limited scope. Fitz and I started this as a way of keeping photos of the odd game ‘somewhere’, actually having a central focus for playing games and thereby creating a need to fill the blog – so it would be self-fulfilling, compelling us to fill up the space.

That original premise has morphed out of control.

I’ve found good gaming friends right on my very doorstep, and re-found some old ones – who I thought lost to time.

I’ve formed great friendships with other bloggers from the UK to the USA, even been given figures (you are the men Sprinks & Steve), and played across the world in epic and dramatic AWI games with Steve & Jon (and his excellent rules), had great blogger visits (Tony from Prometheus in Aspic), and played a small part in an online battle of Germantown – which was a real nail-biter (thank you Norm), and have helped form part of ww2 campaigns (Steve’s 2019 Firestorm Russian Front was epic).

I've missed a lot of other stuff and people there - and I never envisaged any of this 10 years ago, and granted I don’t post a lot, but have discovered new found love for the hobby and all its varied facets in the last 10 years, and the great people that form this eclectic bunch that we call 'wargamers'.

 So, I’m hoping to get more from the blog and develop some of the things I’ve already got - as example:

Field of Battle (you knew it would come up), continues to be my faviurite set of rules that is both straightforward and derives an excellent narrative – more to come from this.

Field of Battle ww2 – the bastard son of above, and yet I was able to do Arnhem with in in 2020. With each stand being a company: Bulge, Normandy, Crete – then telescoped into Vietnam and Falklands actions. A really underrated set of rules.

More Aquilonian Special forces stuff. Started that story and never finished. A way of doing moderns, with a little bit of fun, and not getting any tech or operational stuff wrong, or misinterpreting it.

The grand Altar of Freedom experiment – I remain convinced that Little Wars TV’s ‘Altar of Freedom’ rules, could be re-directed toward a set of battlefield/campaign rules for Nine-Years-War / Marlburian (1685-1715). …this might develop further.

All those other rulesets which are sure to usurp all of the above, including Koenig Krieg and others. It’s what the hobby is about really.

…and much more…

Thanks to everyone for your comments and time over the years. Here’s to the next TEN! 

(cue the pics)

A scene from 'Aughrim'. More 9YW to follow.

More from 'Steve's bunker', including moderns

A scene from the epic 2 day Arnhem game in 2020

...and a certain bridge

Neerwinden 2018 - when Tony from 'Prometheus in Aspic' played many games during a great visit
FoB ww2 action

AWI is a perennial favourite

...as is gaming with Steiner & the boys

1/300 Moderns just keep coming back

Did I mention FoB ww2?



28 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it ten years, Darren! My own blog is coming up on a ten year anniversary in September.

    We should schedule another remote game. At present, I seem to be weaving between FAW and SYW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I would love another game sir. I think the rules would lend themselves admirably to any Black Powder period - with relevant tweaks. In fact, I have a few Jacobite things coming up so might even try to host something myself online (if I can handle the tech).

      Delete
  2. Jon beat me to it, there were no comments when I stated reading this post! Looks like a nice variety of periods you are playing too! I must chacking out the FiB rules you mention .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Field of Battle rules are excellent - a 'sensible' version of Piquet without the issues perhaps.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... Looking at the time stamp, maybe I am mistaken about my first comment😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 10 years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Forgive me not mentioning your excellent blog above. I have learnt a lot from your campaign stuff and elegant rulesets. Keep up the excellent work.

      Delete
  5. Time certainly flies !! Really must get FoB WW2 back on table

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many happy returns sir, and long may the toy soldier bothering continue!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sprinks. I noticed your new post. Comments on the way sir - and didn't we have a podcast to sort :)

      Delete
    2. Ah the podcast, me thinks beers and a brainstorm may be on order

      Delete
    3. DOO EEEEEET ....yep. Let me grab that single malt (oh boy, it's gonna be a long one)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting to double figures! A very worthwhile venture looking in from outside.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I do wish I could post more - that day is definitely fast approaching :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on 10 years of blogging.

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Blogging has certainly put me back on track and I now get more out of others’ blogs than magazines and forums. Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. And I also have to get your modern rules to the table; plus we have to do Rapid Fire online :)

      Delete
  10. Happy blogbirthday Duc! And here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I hope so mate, and you too for your excellent blog. We are both into that 'funny period' that you me and Barrie like :) In the next ten years it will knock ww2 off the top spot, I'm sure LOL

      Delete
  11. Congrats Darren! Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. The blog would not be where it is, and what it is, without your input over the years. Now if we can organise it, we'll chat soon at Jon's next game - or if I can sort the tech, we can do some 'First Battle' stuff perhaps.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations, a rewarding ten years in a grand hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George. Despite prediction as to our collective hobby doom in my 5 year post, I think it is actually thriving.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on hitting a major milestone and looking forward to the next 10 years!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chris. It's great to see wargaming in the relative 'golden age' that it's in, and here's to another 10.

      Delete