Friday 15 April 2022

Postcards from the Ledge - Rapid Fire re-visit

 Busy...busy...busy.

But your roving reporter managed to call in and get some pics from a recent 'Rapid-Fire-Revisted' game, with the guys' superb 15mm models, laid on by the guys at Reserve Bunker #351 (or John's house).

This featured the advance of Carpiquet scenario from the new Canadians in Normandy book. 

In essence, there is a return to the 'old-school' simplicity that made 1st edition (yes, the green one) so appealing to me, whilst smoothing the rough edges of the moving parts. Really nice. I didn't get many pics of the full action, but enough to whet the appetite...

Canucks eh?

You still have to love RF for its distinct lack of BS, and its latest incarnation grants a level of refinement which removes much of the need for local hacking that always seemed present in earlier iterations (or conversely, got far too cumbersome in 2nd edition in my view). 

The empty battlefield. Canadian objective at top right of pic.

Box 'o' Allies

Box 'o' Jerries

Jerry moving into position


Early Canadian recce moves



Some excellent buildings

Germans at the Abbey



Canadians move up the road


Flanking armour responds early - somewhat effective




Canadian response

...the big guns will get a go soon




Yes - Stephen has painted the 'growth rings' in that 15mm scale tree stump - amazing work!

More to follow. I have an idea about doing 'The Relief of Vilnius' again with 4 or 5 players. A pity I didn't get more pics of this one - but it became a hard fought action from what I heard.

8 comments:

  1. Some great pics Duc - the 15mm Armour is rather splendid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks good oh yeah. I believe it's the combination of Steve's ink wash plus highlight in order to achieve the effect. In the pics it looks like a whole scale up from what it actually is.

      Delete
  2. I bought the ‘Extra’ booklet this week! Seems to be aimed more for later war, but it’s worth the pittance it costs and I like the Sanders-esque supply rules. I’m tempted to start drilling holes in the back of my tanks for red mapping pins…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I noticed that - truth be told, they actually sent me a 2nd copy of the rulebook by mistake, instead of the 'extra' book. A quick email and I had the 'extra' the next day. Amazing service from the guys.

      I saw some of the new rules - I know what you mean LOL - I like what they've done and I am so glad that the whole endeavour is more a return to the concepts behind green original book which I loved in the 90s. RF was the reason I dusted off my old airfix stuff and bought hundreds of new 20mm items. Definitely has me re-inspired.

      Delete
    2. I ordered mine last Sunday and it was through my door on Tuesday! I think they went back to first principles with RFR and I can’t see an RF3 being produced now.

      Delete
    3. Yes - a lot of sense from the green book has been retained (re-integrated?). I was never sure about the added complexity in the 2nd edition (the Typhoon cover)...with tank crews running around looking for cover.

      I have discovered 75 RF (yep 75 off) scenarios that I had by the way - I will email you a copy.

      Delete
  3. Rapid Fire Reloaded does what it "says on the tin" it produces a complete and fast playing WW2 game that retains decent period feel and for that it deserves much praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. makes me want to do 'Relief of Vilnius' again with multiple players - to see if the Germans can actually win HA!

      Delete