Wednesday 27 December 2023

I know what I did last summer...

There has been a distinct lack of actual wargaming posts in the last year - I'm not proud I know...which of course begs the question, what have I been doing?

Now, it's not the end of the blog - far from it, though I do have to mention that term, which makes even the most steadfast of Grognards quake in his boots, that makes even the most hardened of wargames tabletop generals make the -3 morale check, that creates discord in the ranks of even the hardiest Napoleonic (simulated) line - that of the dreaded, and most foul curse to wargaming, that is...'role-playing games'.

Gwen, Marduk, Jolene and Alric...hangin' out

Though I have a vast and (un)impressive experience with 'RPG's since my initial forays into D&D at age 11 - whilst simultaneously discovering wargaming, (which of course got me into Swords & Sorcery literature - R.E.Howard and the 1982 Conan movie, Ah'm lookin' at youuu!)

'It can't be my fault...nooo...i even get accused of being a modern pro Nietzschean, anti woke, pro fascist classic these days...I mean ok...well actually yeah, but surely the movie is about the dangers surrounding the abuse of power...an allegory if you will...uhh...da riddell of steeeel.' So Conan might have an Int score between 5 and 18 , depending on which story you read...

 Now I could wax lyrical about the absolute and complete saturation of RPGs in the 'market' (let's not call it an industry), but what actually put me on board with this was (1) my nephews and (2) my friends' kids - who, in the post pandemic, post 'Stranger Things' Dungeons and Dragons frenzy - all became interested in playing, and understanding 'D&D'.



So as 'DM' and a bit of an old school hack, I started here:
Original 'Mentzer', which defined a lot of early stuff in the 80s, but wasn't the eponymous 'AD&D' which seemed to matter when I was 12, but not so much now...


...and ended up graduating to '5e' (just to keep things current for them)
The current edition, well this week, well as long as corporates can make millions from it, well...uhh...whatever works

NOw i also play in a game composed of old wargamers like me - in fact wargamers from that same era of the 80s, and here is what I noticed...(get the popcorn ready)...
  • Wargamers are obsessed with rules, because without rules, we don't have a 'fair' game, and that sense of 'simulation' is nothing more than playing Monopoly...uhh...without said rules.
  • Hence we become fixated with the rules in 5e - because that makes it serious fun (uhh) and thereby we don't (always) have our basis for the game based upon Sword and Sorcery (or Fantasy?) fiction that the originals were very closely fixated upon.
  • Younger people, who have never played before, want a 'story', a hook, excitement, characters they can feel a part of. Now this amazed me; and it should not have. They want interesting characters, in interesting situations, like the books they still read (now and then when not videogaming and panicking about World War 3 or something).
  • ...and the clear thing that hit me like a brick, is that they think 'outside the box'. They don't want the simulated fight - though they like the dice; they want to do 'sneaky stuff' - VERY reminiscent of the original games. They would rather talk their way out, or at least get advantage in a fight.
  • They want to imagine their own worlds - not have it all dictated to them, having no hesitation in suggesting things for the game and the world and the characters, and to be honest, I would bend or break a rule to let this happen...this suggestion matrix also helps because i am a lazy bastard that does very little prep...
Now that...becomes very refreshing for a guy who stopped RPGs many years ago because people were taking it far too seriously...so this is set to continue (though wargaming will return with a vengeance), and with an interest in some umm 'books' i have suggested, we might see these in future:


A more modern OSR version and Stormbringer above it


'Index Card RPG' might also get some traction

Now that said, D&D has also been in the news recently, and citing Conan and its pastiche in terms of scriptwriter John Milius's allegory referring to the abuse of power by 'corporations', D&D is going through its own trials as we speak:


And to wrap up, I hope you all had a great Christmas, and may I be the first to wish y'all a Happy New Year....here's three movies we watched over Christmas, which all beat the pants off that Napoleon crap :) (and all of them are funnier)







9 comments:

  1. This was a GREAT post, Darren! And who are we to judge any lack of gaming. It's almost like we all needed or craved something a bit different. I have been reading some Twilight 2000 blog posts of late and would love to play in an actual game with my pals but I have no idea how to get started lol.

    We played alot of D and D when I was in college and I purchased Heroquest as a gateway dungeon crawl "lite" for my kids which they enjoy (as long as my daughter gets to play "Zargon" the DM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - it has been a weird year :) Twilight has a new edition out - which we of course have all bought, and not yet played, but i do remember playing it back in the day, with the original edition - of course we were all sas blokes trying to get that 'last train home' from Eastern Europe and the Americans had bought all the seats HAA!

      It amazed me how different D&D is with my nieces and nephews - they have that sense of storytelling and amazement - perhaps steadily eroded through videogames in the current generation, so the chance to 'live' the story a little bit becomes very groundbreaking in terms of their imaginations - definitely interesting stuff (now I just have to make them wargamers...watch this space ;) )

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh yes :) I am even pulling out some old paperbacks from the ...ahem...80s lol

      Delete
  3. I recently bought the D&D starter set, in anticipation of my grandchildren finding it immersive and a bit of fun when they come to ours, though I think it will not likely progress beyond that rather excellent package. Hope you pass your -3 morale check :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can be very expensive, and there are a lot of 'old school' games now that the kids would enjoy just as much Norm. To be honest - even making up the rules and keeping the 'glitz' of the product is enough with a good story i think.

      Delete
  4. Huffafuffing not my gig of course but gaming of any type is always a plus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sir! I am not the only one having trouble logging into google then...i had to reset my cookies dammit

      Delete
    2. Yes sometimes the big G sees me as Steiner other times as an unknown entity, I gave up trying to sort it as fluctuates endlessly.

      Delete