The second part of this trip was centred upon Italy's real passion: Football (world cup notwithstanding)? the Romans? Good food? An obsession with bad actors doing dodgy accents? - Noooo - I refer of course, to Ferrari.
 |
| A massive F1 exhibit, with the history of the best (and worst) of times, and all of the awards won throughout the decades. Truly outstanding! |
There are two museums - one with a theme (music personalities who have owned Ferraris), and one attached to the factory, with a deep historical perspective, and then a factory tour (though you aren't allowed to take pictures during the tower - I can assure you however, that the factory and test track are phenomenal). Also, it was 100 degrees Fahrenheit (30 deg Cent.) heat, with no wind and thankfully, cold beer...
 |
The 'Prancing Horse' statue in Maranello - emblematic of the Ferarri symbol, which has an origin story all its own. |
 |
| The theme museum with lots of musicians' cars as a theme this week |
 |
| A rapper owned this (uhhh don't ask me who). Kate Bush's car hadn't arrived yet |
 |
| A model from the swinging 60s |
 |
| Michael Schmacher's seminal car from the 90s seasons |
 |
The Ferrari "Prancing Horse" (Cavallino Rampante) was originally the personal emblem of Italian World War I fighter ace Francesco Baracca. After his death, his mother presented the crest to Enzo Ferrari in 1923, suggesting that it would bring him good luck. It certainly did... |
 |
| Outside the factory museum, an F1 car is trapped in steel tubing, trying to get out ...note this pic for later, when the storm hits... |
 |
| One of the original 1940s models - very nice |
 |
| 50s racing model which won everything! |
 |
| The most recent 'Le Mans' racing car - superb! |
 |
| The entrance to the factory - after this point, there are no pics allowed (despite me spotting a couple of lads breaking the rules :O - clearly Merc employees). The company employs 6,000 people, and seems superbly organised - especially so for a company which essentially makes 'one-offs' - THOROUGHLY enjoyable, and highly recommended. |
 |
| Remember the F1 vehicle in the pipes...this is what it looked like when the storm hit - yikes! |
 |
| To end with, jazz musician Miles Davis's car - beautiful. |
Now, in the obvious and endless and well-known (!) Tolkien vs Ferrari debate between the 'Prancing Horse' and the 'Prancing Pony', I think the winner is obvious...
 |
| The Prancing Pony... |
 |
| The Prancing Horse... |
The answer Luigi, is obvious...
The one from the 60s is without doubt the most beautiful - Perfetta
ReplyDeleteIt is superb yes - even the paint job was good...I checked closely until i got told off. Ahh and you know the only Italian word I know too! (Just glad La Duchesse Royale was there with her Italian 'speak')
DeleteYou must have been drooling enough to fill a pint ahead of having one!
ReplyDeleteIf you solve the puzzle do you get to take that F1 away?!
Best wishes, James
HA! I wish James - incredibly good trip...I actually may have seen that car in the 1999 Belgian GP...but that, is another blog post...I mean story...
DeleteYet the Italians still cannot make anything that can catch a Mini with a boot full of gold bars.
ReplyDeleteApparently, they were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off...
Delete