Monday 25 May 2020

'Wargaming Resolves Social Distancing Concerns'

Very happy to report today, that traditional style hex'n'chit games are very much alive, their precepts in fact, being used successfully during the pandemic to encourage 2 metre / 6 ft social distancing via hex management...  I caught this pic on a news website (accidentally).



Example of Play
In the picture above, Student 2 has Student 1 and 3 in his Zone of Control - thereby putting him out of supply, before they make a 2:1 attack with column shift in their attack phase.

He nervously awaits a flank attack from Student 4 in the advancing fire phase.

Of course, 'over-stacking' is only permitted with members of the same household.

You'll note the absence of Attack / Defend / Move ratings. This issue will be resolved in the second edition reprint.

And here's that example of play again...



14 comments:

  1. Nice! The unit with the red backpack (hex 1606) looks to be suffering from poor morale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yeah - good point - perhaps it's the reverse of the counter.

      Delete
  2. I saw this earlier over on http://prometheusinaspic.blogspot.com/. I made similar comments regarding ZOC and flank/rear attacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I missed Tony's post. Admittedly ...his might be funnier (I said 'might' ...)

      Delete
  3. I believe you can also move into any hex you want to if your parental instinct dictates - it would be a totally reasonable thing to do, assuming you stay alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - apparently officer counters get free movement ;)

      Delete
    2. I was just checking my eyesight m'lud...

      Delete
    3. Ahhh now line-of-sight rules ...always contentious.

      and thankfully no tops removed ;)

      Delete
  4. Student's life is becoming dangerous these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) They even get 3:1 advantage and column shifts - and you still can't please 'em.

      Delete
  5. Having a teenager at home I can also reveal they can only move a single hex per turn due to their 'mope' special rule. Also some more elite units are very much entitled to leave any combat due to their 'god I hate you I'm going to my room' rule which lets them retire back to their deployment zone in a huff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent.
      I've tried to encourage the 'out of supply' rule to stop the special mope tactic - though this is invariably countered with a 'forced march' to the fridge.

      Delete