Monday 13 July 2020

1st Manassas with 'Altar of Freedom'

I'd had 'Altar of Freedom' for a while on pdf, together with some of the scenario packs, and of course seen it used by author Greg, and the chaps at Little Wars TV.


Though when I saw some of the commentary on Steve's recent post surrounding the game, I knew it was one that was crying out to be tried.

 I had been recently re-basing my 20mm plastic ACW troops for Volley and Bayonet. The 3"x3" bases seemed to work well, though some changes to conceptual understanding of how road movement and recoils worked, was required.

Highlights:
  • I can see some of the Chipco style design mechanisms (that the LWTV guys favour) re. combat in the rules, but it's the command and control structure that really stands out as being fluid and original, and...very period-centric.
  • The 'turn clock' allows me, if I have control of it, to control the pace of the turn - to some extent. Where I am canny, I can get 'more out of the turn' by hanging on to the initiative, if my opponent has not been careful.
  • A secret bidding system, by division, allows each player to put their impetus where they need to in terms of command points. Sometimes it's obvious ...but not always, and that's the core of the system.
  • The turn clock might just squeeze a division or two out of the action if well played however, enabling a canny general to hold on to the initiative.
  • This can create focus on certain parts of the battlefield, like Maurice, although there are a lot more surprises when a subtle player outsmarts you here.
  • By manipulating the turn clock (insofar as you can - you don't always get the luck you might need), and playing to each general's strengths via his traits - it really feels like a civil war battle.
  • There are also commander traits for the Generals. This is really evocative of the period.
  • Beauregard had the 'micromanager' trait for instance, which forced him to hold back points for end of turn activity. Although this hampered grabbing the initiative, it enabled the odd brigade to carry out 'end of turn' maneuvers which made good ground in the centre - Union units watching helplessly while his 'genius' allowed a brigade to slip into an open space. 
  • Little touches like this give each commander his own in game 'personality', and actually forces your opponent to try and recognise this, and thereby attempt to foil its effects.  (It 'is' as if you knew this guy at West Point and he chose the wrong side in the war...and how many times have we read that in civil war sources).
  • In terms of hacks, and with a few changes to the straightforward combat system, this sort of turn clock / command trait system could easily be used in other large battles in other horse and musket periods - Age of Marlborough for instance (this was on my mind throughout the game, where Marlborough, Tallard, Eugene would have unique traits which would influence play). (Don't even start me on my thoughts re. using some of the mechanics for corps level WW2...Market Garden, the Ardennes, D-Day for instance).

'Enough prattle ...git to the battle boah!   (and why is mah yooonit at -3 in this here fight ???).'
 Rebs at Bull Run

  'I intend to use this large dice to form the centre of my defensive position Zeke!'

 An early cavalry clash, though it will come to naught, with neither side gaining an advantage on the Union left throughout the battle ...much to the shame of the Union General !!!

 Confederate moves on the Union left...becoming stymied, and more of a delaying action on the considerable Union numbers.


 Most Reb activity took place in the Union centre, with dramatic attacks across the river.



 Union troops failed to stop Johnston's forces making considerable inroads.



 

 Union Brigade back at camp (rally point for broken units - this is a very nice mechanic, and works perfectly bearing in mind the scale of the battles).


 Rebel Yell!

 Go Billy Yank!

 


 With the centre under considerable pressure, and undeniably clever gameplay from the Confederate General, the lynch-pin of the Union line threatened to break.

 Now, in the final game turn, with the Union camp about to be attacked, the game was effectively over.


A truly inspiring set of rules, with a lot of future potential.
(...and I still like that Marlburian idea...though I do need to try 'Twilight of the Sun King' which threatens to have a similar dynamic, if not C&C system).

And finally:

Musketry of the period ...who knew?


And the obligatory DM3 toon...


30 comments:

  1. Looks interesting - if I read the blurb correctly 1 base = a Brigade so I can imagine this working well for small size figures which would suit me, being challenged for space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack.
      Yes - 1 base is a brigade. Their recommended size is 6mm figures on a 60mm x 30mm base.
      I have lot of interest in Volley & Bayonet, and had been rebasing on 76mm x 76mm / 3"x3" for that.
      It seemed to work very well, though recoils and road movement needs a little bit of tinkering. Some very decent mechanisms in there and about 20 pages of actual rules.

      Delete
  2. That is very nice and effective re-basing, looking really good on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm.
      The rebasing was for V&B, but I do love those big bases with 20mm plastic figures and gloss varnish. I love that toy soldier look for these guys - that said, I don't see me doing the same for my 9yw/AWI lead stuff anytime soon :)

      As the units are brigades, there is a 2" range representing skirmishing; contact / base-to-base is more akin to close range firefights.
      Some very nice touches in the rules re. command and control. I guess it could be a little 'gamey' but we liked it a lot.

      Delete
  3. Your table looks great, Darren! I like the big bases too. Similar to waiting for a bus, I have not seen AoF games and then TWO come by almost at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan.
      So easy to set up and play, and the scenarios are all there.
      Combat is simple but not simplistic, but the command rules really make you think.
      Steve inspired me to play these, and as he said, they were right in my wheelhouse - he was spot on.

      I still do think there is much to 'hack' here for a linear warfare / C18th version.

      ...and I wasn't joking about the corps level WWII...

      Delete
  4. I’ve been eye balling these rules as well, since I love the ACW. All I read are positive experiences. You have a nice set up. Nice summary of the rule nuances. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew.
      Kudos on your recent AWI painting by the way - great stuff.
      The large bases worked well, and I love that glossy soldier look on them - smaller bases would mean bent plastic muskets and repainting - which never ends well...so the big squares are great.

      They are a nice set of rules - and the mechanics are clean and applicable to so many other periods I think.

      Delete
  5. Interesting to hear your thoughts about the rules, and the rebased units do look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter.
      Love the big bases, and some nice innovation in the rules.
      You know, I was even thinking how they might suit Jacobite wars too...

      Delete
  6. Darren,
    The big bases look the part! I'm glad you tried AoF out. I have been furiously painting 10mm ACW here to play a battle when we're finished with Shiloh. Im thinking we will play first Manassas next.

    We were talking about the merits of the rules for napoleonics where you could really bring quality leadership to the fore and I love that the mechanics are dead simple. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, and thanks for bringing the rules back into the light for me.
      Yes - I think the bases worked well - needn't have worried.

      You know, there is SO much that can be done with that bidding and initiative system.
      I mentioned Marlburian above ...but imagine using the commander traits and that bid system on a WWIII battlefield.
      If you could get the combat mechanics to work, the command system would centre on flexible NATO command structure vs limited but brutally effective WarPact. Traits would mimic certain 'types' of commander.

      Wondering even if the combat system from 'Dunn Kempf' could have this command / trait / bidding system tacked onto it. The traits could be revised to give character to the company or brigade commanders.

      ...thinking out loud here LOL

      Delete
  7. Great looking game. Not heard if the rules before but I'll look out for them, they do seem pretty good. Do you think they'd work better 1 v 1? Rather than multi player games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray.
      It could work solo, but you'd have to be pretty neutral in the whole affair.
      Part of the multiplayer aspect is in terms of outbidding.
      If you have 12 command points, while your opponent has similar, and you need to guarantee moving that division first - you might fritter away 6 points ...at the expense of anything else...hoping that your opponent doesn't do the same.
      Each time there is a bid no. change, dice are rolled to see who commands the turn clock, which can enable making the turn fast or slow, which can squeeze out some of the lower initiative divisions. Again, you can uyse this to your advantage.

      It's an inspired 'poker face' style system - I love the drama of it.
      You can pretty much move everything until the sh*t hits the fan, then you need not only to focus and think about your bid, but be wary of your opponent doing the same.

      So..it would work better with 2 or more - that said, it probably needs a solo play to work this out. It does take a few turns to get your head around.

      Delete
  8. Great looking game and a really useful playtest/review. This is most interesting timing for me as I was only looking at the rules on the Little Wars TV website yesterday. The idea of the bidding/time clock did not appeal to me, but it sounds better with your explanation. I presume that each base is a brigade, but there would be nothing to prevent scaling up to more bases per brigade? Could they scale to regimental bases/units do you think?
    Great to see these Imex, Italeri and Accurate/A Call to Arms figures on the table!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bidding and turn clock had really not appealed to me either, until I sat down and worked it out. It's quite unique, and ...dare I say...nailbiting.
      Yes - each base is a brigade; in this case a la Volley and Bayonet, but it still works.
      Yes, I think it would scale up nicely. the rules call for 60mm x 30mm bases. You could scale that up/down, with ranges and movement, as you see fit.

      I know - gotta love 1/72 plastic - right? My love affair with the ACW is fleeting, random, less inspiring than some (I'm no period expert) ...and made of plastic. They look nice on the big bases in gloss finish though.

      Delete
  9. Your 'new' basing looks great (and of course will work fine with FOB) and super looking game. I have Alter Of Freedom on PDF (yuuck) and they seem to be a decent set of period specific rules, but not tried as no figs for ACW :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they turned out nice I thought.
      I had it on pdf too but took a print, whiuch is good as I needed to highlight certain passages.
      Everything is in there, just not apparent on the first reading. For instance, I didn't see the turn clock dice mechanism, until I actually read the nitty-gritty of the description, but there is a wonderful mechanism in there.

      Delete
  10. The bidding/time clock mechanism seems to work out a bit like the 'hidden' impetus in Blucher ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes and no.
      So if I have 12 command points and 4 divisions, I'll want to spread my points across it.
      I might go three each, but if my opponent has scored higher in his bid for a division, he'll go first.
      So I might go 6, 2, 2, 2, but if my opponent gets control of the turn clock (when there is a change in bid no. e.g. 6 to 5 - each side rolls a d6 and picks a number to reduce the clock by), he might run the turn down before my '2's get to go.

      So yes, if I'm defending, it's in my best interest to (1) run the clock down and (2) let my opponent have initiative until i really need it - but that still works in terms of time pressure and taking the initiative for a counterattack.

      Blucher is a little more random than this - though granted, your opponent does not know how many pips he has left to take.
      There would be more 2nd guessing of the opponent here.

      This system could work for a lot of periods.
      Even the game as a whole was screaming 'Marlburian' at me - granted with some amendments for cavalry and artillery.

      Delete
    2. Darren the commanders traits, which are a stroke of genius in my humble opinion, also influence how you are allowed to spend some points. So if you're a micromanager, you'll have to spend a number of points at the end of the sequence. It's a very neat feature of these rules.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I noticed that with Beauregard, though it allowed him to perform some last minute moves 'sneakily' at the end of some turns.
      Those traits had me thinking of Marlburian fights, ...but also WWIII, where impetuous or more rational NATO commanders could be given colourful character if the system could be used there. Of course would also apply to WWII.

      Delete
    4. I'm starting to get more of a sense of it now. There was a similar mechanic with the tempo bidding in Polemnos' Marechal de l'Empire and General de Division (which pre-date Altar of Freedom, I think). They are ostensibly Napoleonic rules but are probably better suited to 18th C, as they don't have infantry v cavalry correct for the Napoleonic period.

      Delete
    5. That's where I remember this from! I knew I'd seen something like this before - it was in Polemos.
      Must check this out again. For some reason, I always felt it hadn't worked seamlessly in those rules.

      Delete
  11. Hi Darren- I really like your 1/72nd ACW Armies - painted up beautifully. My first ever army figures was a box of AIRFIX Union Infantry back in 1960s - splendid figures. I gamed ACW back in 1983 with ESCI Plastics - lots of good memories. Thanks. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev,
      Most of the miniatures are Revell and Imex above, but I did have some of those Airfix guys in my youth.
      There were 3 survivors, and they are in there as confederates.
      The poses with chap thrusting musket downward, guy kneeling and shooting, and the classic officer with sword and pistol (and white gloves in my version) are based in there somewhere - though might be hard to find in the pics.

      Delete
  12. Enjoyable report. One of my favourite battles and I have fought it three or four times, Union have yet to win, but then again I was playing Rebs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George.
      It's hard to be a Union player these days.
      Inept generals, rules odds stacked 'gainst you, political correctness...wait, no that's a bonus LOL

      Delete
    2. I always thought McDowall had a great plan, but inevitably all sorts went wrong outwith his control. Perhaps in the future the Rebs will be cancelled and it will be blue on blue.

      Delete
    3. Haha I love it.
      But Blue on Blue means friendly fire...and they'll still need flags; someone will be offended by history no matter what.
      Misremembered forgetfullness - it's a lose-lose.

      Delete