Tuesday 23 April 2019

Le Duc on the Road - Episode XIII - Steam Trains

If you're into the age of steam, read on.
(If not, you'll probably want to turn the page).
Now until recently, I have not been a fan, but having been close to these re-built/re-purposed steel monsters recently at Whitehead Railway Museum, and having a new (vested) interest in their construction and mechanics, not only did I get some close-up pics, but I also got a 70mph ride at the business end of a steam train.

The pics tell the story :)





  Shunting at destination.

 Classic carriages. I didn't get many pics from these as I was 'yakkin' (talking too much).



 
 Pics from the business end of the boiler.




 '131' back home.


And of course, another excuse for another 'The Devil Makes Three' song... about trains.

And Cross of Iron references can never be too far away...

Wait...it's the same carriage?!?


*sighs* 'he never gives up with the bloody Steiner references, does he?'

8 comments:

  1. Great pics Duc. Love a stream engine,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. There will be more in the future.

      Delete
  2. Brings me back to days with Hornby and Lima train sets (which of course I ended up using all the excellent peripheral terrain pieces for wargames!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've of course added the Steiner at the railway carriage pic from Cross of Iron, now that you've reminded me :)

      Delete
  3. Used to wave at the crews as they thundered past while we played commandos in the fields. No 'Elf and Safety then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good times.
      Some of the machines and kit they have at the museum is reminiscent of times when they had no H&S at all; safe use just relies on common sense. I guess those days are gone.

      And it's a long time since I've heard of anyone playing commandos - I used to do that too. I seem to remember two gun sounds - the ackackack of the bren vs the brrrrrrr of the MG42 ...good times :)

      Delete
  4. There is something special about steam powered trains, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sir.
      I'll be working a lot more closely with them soon too - as the museum very close to me.

      Delete