Saturday 22 June 2019

Prep for Stoumont

Twenty years ago, almost to the day, I visited Belgium. Now ostensibly, this was in order to exploit some free Grand Prix tickets that my father had obtained for Spa-Francorchamps, but bearing in mind that I had been reading The Devil's Adjutant, you really just have to do the full tour. I had always had a fascination with the Ardennes offensive.

I have a feeling that there will be some Tiger II action...

On the penultimate night we stayed in Stoumont, and I re-read the battle account. I've wanted to wargame the battle ever since, so prep for Stoumont with Iron Cross continues apace.

Some pics to whet the appetite:
US units moving in to attack Stoumont.
 This pic shows the rooftops of modern (90s) Stoumont. From memory, I believe that may be the Robinson house (or re-built version), to the left. Granted, this pic was taken in August 99, rather than in the depths of winter.

Plenty of PanzerBusch in pending game, I feel...

There are a lot of photos online captured at the actual battle, bearing in mind German and American camera representation and push for propoganda by this stage of the war as well as the nature of the operation.

 A sample of the other pics that still have. An M3 at Stavelot, near the bridge to the east. More to follow.





4 comments:

  1. Really excited for this! Cannot wait! We will be trying Seven Days to the Rhine today at Ken's.
    Looking forward to seeing some Tiger II's in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate.
      It's been a LONG time since that Tiger II has seen action.
      I need to write a rule in about it running out of fuel though LOL.
      Looking forward to your post on 7dttr.

      Delete
  2. Eagerly waiting. :-) I have both Iron Cross and seven days to the Rhine ..... interest is high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm.
      Game in progress as we speak...

      Delete