Friday 21 June 2019

More Steam!

Following the stupendous success of my last steam-train post, I have decided to follow up with an examination of how to construct a model based upon a real railway (try saying that after 4 pints) hub/station for your next eastern front scenario.

 
 Workshops and track layout offer both cover and dangerous approaches for the attacker.
 
'Didn't he once say that the blog was written solely for the purposes of purveying purist late C17th wargaming? What's all this train c**p?'

The Dining car always offers great cover (and is handy for Call of Cthulhu scenarios).


Cranage always makes for fine detail in the finished model.

Ruined carriages - clearly this one has been near a nuclear strike in WW3 Hamburg! (a little 'Zone' reference for the aficionados there).


 Carriage sheds offer lots of cover and low light.

'I do apologise Madame...this train thing has simply got out of control. Normal toy soldier service will be resumed a bientot!'


 Obligatory steam engines of course - good source of cover, and potential explosive nature make poorly laid artillery a danger.


Dining car again...sensing a theme.

 Civilians by the trackside always a danger.

Workshops un-obscured by train-age.



 Try taking the carriage workshop from the Soviet defenders...



A few more random locos

The zoo area, where the woodworm is kept... (ok, so that's sarcasm).

6 comments:

  1. Well, I enjoy a good train post! Many a riveting scene has been set in the dining car in addition to a classy meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, dining cars you say. I have many riveting pics of the dining car exhibit; taken from different angles, with tablecloth / without tablecloth etc. I just wouldn't be sure that everyone could contain their excitement if if put up all the pics.

      Having said that, we have resolved that the Dining Car would be an excellent venue to host a play-through of 'Horror on the Orient Express' for Call of Cthulhu...complete with real life 'being thrown from the train' events.

      Delete
  2. Why am I now pondering a 17th century/age of steam(punk) mashup type setting?!! ("Would my lord please pass the steam powered sniper musket, one simply must do something about the unwashed invading 1st class"... Or something). Damn it I have too many projects as it is!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking it. I'll get you some more pics. I'm sure there is a cut-away detail on how a steam engine works somehere.

      Delete
  3. Great pics Sir Duc - the trains not the fops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I laugh sir. Those are accurate historical BBC fops (but yeah, fops nevertheless).
      Take a trip north sometime and I shall show you around the museum.

      Delete